Recommendations for policy actors:
- Provide specific funding to and require appropriate governance structures for creating multi-actor coalitions and engaging civil society actors throughout the research and innovation process;
- Mission agendas, goals and strategies should be defined with diverse actors and societal stakeholders who are willing to participate in the R&I process;
- Missions should include civic aspirations, values and goals and avoid focusing predominantly on technology innovation or deployment;
- Missions and other R&I constellations should involve all helices throughout the R&I process from mission definition to output, and safeguards must be provided that decisions are made on a democratic and equal footing regardless of Mission agenda ownership or funding contribution;
- A balanced view of input and output orientation must be followed to incorporate different types of knowledges and traditions, value orientations and goal aspirations of all helices from the QH model.
Policy brief 4.0Download